For help, give us a call at 800-342-1661, 8am to 4pm PST Monday through Thursday, or email@example.com
09-30-2019: Satellite paths, Sleep Mode
– Predictive satellite tracking, as shown as a dashed line in the future for all displayed satellites. Duration of predicted path is equal to the historical path setting, up to ten minutes nominally, and 100 minutes for the ISS and HST satellites.
– Screen sleep function: From the power button on the remote, the menu will also display a ‘sleep mode’. Pressing this button will turn off the video display, but not the computer itself. Press any remote button to restore the video feed. Geochron’s remote will not operate your TV.
09-19-2019: Analemma tracking
– Analemma is now tracking correctly and consistently on the map when enabled.
09-09-2019: UTC 12/24, Wifi Issues
– Secondary UTC clock can be set to 12-hour (AM/PM) format independently of main clock
Toggle: Menu > System > UTC 12h
– Multiple software update channels for better beta testing and update deployment
Fewer interruptions to normal software deployment
Fixed bugs & improvements:
– Reduced time between first-start and live weather data being displayed
– Reduced apparent start-up time once we’re in the main program
Splash screen waits a bit longer for map data to load-in properly.
– Showcase mode no longer displays annoying “Applying layer settings” indicator upon change of settings
– Removed a possible lock-up when analemma is disabled
– Fixed issue with Wi-Fi module not loading properly upon start-up
Issue Symptoms: blank Wi-Fi menu, no MAC address visible in Menu > System.
– Additional recovery systems to handle multiple consecutive software boot-up failures
– Eliminated text overlap between showcase mode label and secondary (UTC) clock
08-05-2019: Greyscale, True Night, and WIFI
- New Feature! Adjusted scale of Night Opacity and added options for ‘true night’ at ‘max‘ – 100% black at night.
- New Feature! Show UTC option in menu duplicates time/date with UTC time/date regardless of time-zone selected.
- New Feature! Greyscale mode for Mapsets. Toggle in Menu.
- Design Interface: On/off toggle buttons in system tab also turned into Boolean switches
- Fix: The Precipitation Legend on/off settings are retained properly
- Fix: WIFI networks with multiple APs sharing the same name/key (‘mesh’ or multiAP setups) will now work as expected.
- Fix: Manually-input Location Pin lat/long data will now be constrained to appropriate ranges.
- Fix: Update Prompts (upper right hand corner) will communicate more clearly, and automatic reboots will be more aggressive following an update.
- Fix: Keyboard binding in the Wi-Fi menu should be more aggressive to activate
05-01-2019 Version 2 rolled out. Previous improvements rolled into Version 2.x. No new features will be added to Version 1.x.
- If you have not upgraded to Version 2, please read this on how to upgrade.
- Version 2 adds:
- Far faster performance and stability.
- Satellite Weather
- Expanded tutorials.
- Written over a Linux OS. Version 1 was an Android OS.
- Check out THIS SHORT VIDEO to watch us update the Geochron Digital to Version 2.
02-2019: Demonstration Mode
- Adding “Demonstration Mode” to cycle all layers and maps at user-selected timed intervals: 30 seconds to 3 minutes.
- Note: This feature will automatically switch between the available layers and maps at an interval selected by the user.
- Note: By selecting “Keep Map” in Demonstration Mode , the user can keep one map on the screen, while available layers switch at a timed interval above the map.
- Note: by NOT selecting “Keep Map” in Demonstration Mode, all maps and layers will change at a timed interval above the map.
- This feature was requested by museums and other public displays of the GD4k.
12-2018: Sleep mode
- A small patch to improve the performance of the GD4k coming out of sleep mode.
- Note: In addition to this patch, if you encounter problems with the GD4k reinitializing out of sleep mode, please re-seat the HDMI cable. Some TV’s will put the HDMI port to sleep, and the screen will appear blank when that port is selected.
12-2018: Population, Night Mode, and Time Accuracy
- Population Heat Map Overlay: Showing concentrations of human on earth in iridescent colors.
- Night Mode: Manual dimming of the map, or automatically* when the sun sets on the recorded IP location of the Geochron Digital.
- Time Sync Accuracy: Increasing the frequency of Geochron Digital online check to ensure the accuracy of the clock to 500 milliseconds.*
- Mixed Mode Update: This now changes mapsets every 30 minutes starting with Human / Topographical / Oceanic. It was misbehaving.
- System Menu: “Logo Opacity” and “Measurement Units” were relocated here.
*requires internet connection.
- All publicly tracked satellites via NASA showing location, speed, height, and direction (requires internet connection).
- Adjustable vectors on satellites, showing direction.
- Performance update, reducing the CPU heat output by 15F and increasing speed and reliability.
- Variable trail length vectors for all satellites, up to 100 minutes for the Hubble Space Telescope, and ISS.
- Measure systems option: Imperial or Metric.
- On-map font sizes for live layers increased from granular, to HUGE.
- An added tab in the menu “Live”, specifically for live layers.
09-2018 (v1.1 only): Performance
Please note: This software update is large (~250MB) and will need security permission to install and an additional menu or two.
– Frequently requested, the International Space Station now has an on/off trailing vector, and a pixel-sized dot for its actual location.
– Some GD4k’s were rebooting way too often. Fixed.
1. On a recent update, we added a feature that would reboot the program if any error was detected. This feature was overly enthusiastic, and was rebooting some computers over tiny, insignificant errors.
2. This major update also includes some background operations that will help us add more Live Layers like weather, and Ham Radio propagation in the future.
08-2018: Video Performance
1. Topographical map display was intermittent in Mixed Mode – Fixed.
2. Mystery multi color vertical line at the midnight point – Fixed.
3. Odd placement of the Day of the Week indicator in some units – Fixed.
4. Hour Band at the top of clock was offset by a few minutes – Fixed.
Deeper dive: We reduced the overall size and processing needs of the Geochron Digital to a tiled video output to make room for additional upcoming features. This caused some alignment issues.
06-2018: Pollution, Location Pins, Screen Keyboard
- World wide CO pollution on layer: Adding to our existing layers of Earth at Night, Shipping, and Air, now you can see the current of C02 pollution across the world. One look, and you’ll see there is a dumpster fire* in China.
- Location Text Tags: Using our new on screen keyboard with the remote, you can add tags to each location pin. Names, call signs… up to 24 characters.
- Time and date: Set local times on the fly without digging into the system interface. Time readout also includes a UTC option, and by major city.
- Internal Keyboard: Using the remote, you can now operate all features of the Geochron Digital, and enable an on-screen keyboard for wifi password set up, and location text tags. You don’t need that mini mouse anymore.
- Map Update: The Ham Radio map has been updated to show Kosovo, and a few other minor updates.
- Email notification prompt: On the first time you boot the Geochron Digital with internet applied, you’ll be asked for an email for update notifications (like this one) – but only once. Since more of our GD’s are being sold through distributors, we needed a way to get user’s email for update notifications. If we already have your email, we apologize for the inconvenience.
- Credits and Sources: Under Menu / System, see credits and data sources for our maps and layers, as well as Geochron’s EULA.