For help, give us a call at 800-342-1661, 8am to 4pm PST Monday through Thursday, or [email protected]
09-27-2022: Minor Bugfixes
Version 220.127.116.11 (Atlas)
– Fixed an issue where the Mixed mapset could cause crashes during bootup.
– Fixed an issue where the Show Time toggle in the Pins tab didn’t remove pin time correctly.
09-26-2022: Render Rework
Version 18.104.22.168 (Atlas)
– Extensive modifications to the underlying rendering system to allow for more complicated layers in the future.
– Atlas 2 only: Addition of an ISS Picture-in-Picture video feed in the Premium tab. More info here: (link)
– Addition of a Set Home Location system which improves the Night Mode subsystem, as well as being useful for the upcoming Center Projection feature.
– Addition of an option to toggle slimmer timebands.
– Moved legends to fully reach to the edges of the screen, freeing up more map space.
– Numerous small improvements and optimizations.
– Fixed a bug that could cause Atlas 1 devices to periodically lose the terminator if too many layers were enabled simultaneously.
06-21-2022: Assorted Bugfixes
Version 22.214.171.124 (Atlas)
– Fixed a bug that would make the trial expiration message remain on screen.
– Fixed a bug that made ISS/HST appear incorrectly under some circumstances.
– Improved image download system to handle failed fetches better.
– Fixed a bug that could cause out of space issues (this was deployed separately as a hotfix).
– Fixed a bug that would crash the layer update system under some rare circumstances.
04-06-2022: Configuration Profiles
Version 126.96.36.199 (Atlas)
– Added new Configuration Profiles system which allows settings to be saved to separate profiles, allowing users to easily swap between collections of settings.
– Users can have up to 10 configuration profiles.
– Includes rotation system to optionally rotate automatically through profiles.
– Added several improvements to the underlying recovery system.
– Improved update system speed.
– Fixed a bug that kept Factory Resets from finishing.
– Fixed a bug that kept satellites from being removed correctly when removed from the server.
01-03-2022: Sleep Mode Enhancements
Version 188.8.131.52 (Atlas)
– Sleep mode now reduces bandwidth usage drastically by slowing down layer updates.
– The “Custom Callsign” layer from the Ham Radio Bundle now includes a “Ø” character.
– You can find Ø in the Custom Callsign On-Screen Keyboard next to 0. If you already used 0 in your callsign, you’ll need to manually change your callsign to use Ø instead if desired.
– Sleep mode no longer ends prematurely if Auto-Maintenance Mode is active.
Version 184.108.40.206 (Atlas)
– Added an “Auto-Maintenance” feature that allows the unit to perform a maintenance cycle at 2am local time.
– This includes automatically installing new updates, and allows for routine memory management.
– If your Geochron is laggy or periodically losing display elements, enabling this “Auto-Maintenance Mode” will increase performance.
– Added help buttons to “Unlimited Layer Downloads” and “Auto-Maintenance” in the System tab to help explain their function.
– Improved Wi-Fi performance, especially regarding mesh network auto-disconnects.
– Improved overall system stability, with a focus on Atlas 1.
9-23-2021: Manual Time
Version 220.127.116.11 (Atlas)
– Added a “Manual Time” system on the System tab to allow time to be set manually.
– This is an advanced feature that is only intended for use in situations where an internet connection is impossible, as it disables NTP and no longer uses our server to increase time accuracy.
– Added an “Internet Connected” image to the top left of the screen, which vanishes if internet is disconnected.
– This can be disabled from the Internet tab.
– Fixed bug where “Unlimited Layer Downloads” still downloaded images, which could cause settings corruption in some cases.
– Fixed bug where Ham Radio Bundle’s DX Spotting legends appeared in the wrong order.
– Overall improved legend and overlay system stability.
8-31-2021: Premium Layers
Version 18.104.22.168 (Atlas)
– In the System tab, a few updates ago we added an on /off switch for “Unlimited Layer Downloads” to improve performance when multiple layers are used. Turning OFF “Unlimited Layer Downloads” will only download layers that are currently being used. This improves the device performance, but there may be a delay when new layers are added.
– Added Ham Radio Premium Bundle. Includes:
– Personal ADIF Calllog upload
– Solar Terrestrial Weather widgets
– Live DX Spotting
– Maidenhead Grid overlay
– Maximum Usable Frequency in topographic and heat map displays
– Custom Callsign on the display
– AMSAT Satellite tracking and footprint
– Bugfixes and optimization, especially for Atlas 1 devices.
– Improved update system stability for future updates.
– Modified image download system to improve settings stability.
07-19-2021: Premium Layers
Version 22.214.171.124 (Atlas and Updated V2)
– Added Premium tab to the menu.
– Includes PIN system for device activation.
– Added the Earthquake Layer as our first Premium layer.
– Has a five day free trial that can be enabled from the Premium tab of the menu.
– Can be purchased through our website after activating your device using the PIN displayed on the Premium tab.
– Numerous systems to support adding and removing premium layers.
– Added trial system that allows the device to request a free trial of a premium layer.
– Several new systems and bugfixes to support the upcoming Ham Radio Bundle.
– Layer renderers can no longer lock-up requiring a reload, keeping layers from changing.
– Atlas 2 audio now functions as expected.
04-21-2021: V2 Slowdown Improvements
Version 126.96.36.199 (Atlas and Updated V2)
– Added new system to limit background layer downloads.
– Background layer downloads are locked as limited on V2, as background downloads were contributing to the V2 slowdowns.
– Atlas customers can find an “Unlimited Layer Downloads” toggle that allows them to control this feature.
– If background layer downloads are limited, after enabling a layer there may be up to 30 seconds of delay as current layer data is downloaded.
– General layer download stability improvements
– Version 2: Adds “Airline Aviation Layer”. Atlas units received this layer on 04/07/2021.
04-07-2021: Airline Aviation Layer
Version 188.8.131.52 (Atlas only)
– Added new Aviation layer that allows displaying one airline’s planes at a time.
– Please note that the new “Live Commercial Flights – Airlines” layer and the original “Live Commercial Flights – Continents” layer cannot be enabled simultaneously, as per our deal with planefinder.net.
– Improved overall consistency of Internet tab, especially when reporting if connected to Wi-Fi.
– Support for the new Atlas 2 to allow all platforms to share software.
– Added layer exclusivity system, to keep layers with too much content from being simultaneously enabled. This keeps the Geochron from getting overwhelmed.
– Fixed bug keeping the Geochron from connecting to hidden networks.
– Fixed bug requiring a restart after connecting Ethernet for it to function.
– Registration modal keyboard issue fixed.
01-08-2021: Legend fix, Moon Phase
Version 184.108.40.206 (Atlas & Updated V2)
– Weather legend toggles are now consistently accessible.
– Keyboard no longer inconsistent when switching to Shift layout.
Some layer changes were released at this time for all customers that are updated to at least 220.127.116.11.
– New Moon Phase legend.
– Precipitation color changed to green and amber to fall more in line with NOAA style guidelines.
– Australia category added to Live Commercial Flights layer.
– Please note that you may need to reload the program before Rotate
Categories includes this new category
12-15-2020: Live Tab Improvements
Version 18.104.22.168 (Atlas & Updated V2)
– Live tab now uses Modals instead of collapsible accordions, increasing the amount of space for complex layers.
– Numerous backend improvements to improve overall performance.
– Show Future option modified to eliminate a bug that would reload the Geochron into a state without the terminator line.
– Slight change to default settings.
– Stability improvements to reduce issues with eventual slowdowns and rare crashes based on API cache.
10-27-2020: Aviation Layer
Version 22.214.171.124 (Atlas & Updated V2)
– Added aviation layer that displays a sampling of currently flying airplanes across the world.
– Added slider controlling airline category rotation interval to the aviation layer.
– Improved error handling in the menu in case of crashes.
– General program optimization.
10-12-2020: Update System Improvements
Version 126.96.36.199 (Atlas & Updated V2)
– Overhauled update system to reduce the rate of update failures, as well as simplify recovery.
– Menu styling improvements for display resolutions less than 1080p, such as 720p.
– Resolved bug with API cache that could result in storage issues.
– Minor improvements to pin movement subsystem.
– Minor improvements to the Time tab’s listed times.
– Minor improvements to keyboard functionality.
08-07-2020: 1080p Styling Improvements
Version 188.8.131.52 (Atlas & Updated V2)
This is the version of software that V2 devices that undergo the recent menu update process will be placed at after the update concludes successfully. For these devices, changes from all previous “Atlas only” updates are included.
– Improved menu styling for lower resolutions to fix an issue with not being able to access the full Live tab.
– Many smaller backend API changes and bugfixes to prepare for the upcoming API
07-21-2020: COVID-19 Live layer and API
Version 184.108.40.206 (Atlas only)
– Back end API module loaded for future expansion. Layer generation will be much easier in the next version for programmers.
– Added COVID-19 layer utilizing Johns Hopkins University data. Updating daily.
– Added source attributions for layers at Menu / Live selections.
– Improved weather layer stability and shorter intervals for data refreshes.
– Improved menu navigation performance, especially for the Live and Time tabs.
– Minor scrollable list bugfixes.
– Faster switching between satellite categories.
– Back End feature code access.
– Back End Logging improvements:
– More information on display issues such as inability to reach 4K.
– More information in general from renderer and interface to assist in overall troubleshooting.
– Notifications can now be dismissed more consistently
06-10-2020: Individual Satellites
Version 220.127.116.11 (Atlas only)
– Using the dropdown box in any and multiple categories, you will see “Show” and “Hide” on each satellite listed. You can select as many satellites as you like, without viewing entire categories.
– The “Hide All” selection at the top of each category will “Hide All” selected satellites for that category.
– The “Hide All” button adjacent to “See All Groups” at the top of all categories will remove all selected satellites from the display.
– Improvements in page scrolling navigation for the Pins, Satellites, and Time tabs.
05-01-2020: Scrolling Pin List, Stability Improvements (Atlas only)
Version 18.104.22.168 (Atlas only)
– Number of custom pins in-use is now displayed, alongside the maximum count of 50
– Pins are now in a scrolling list, so if you add more than fit on the screen, you can still navigate to them!
– Set-up new software testing system to limit interruptions to normal updates.
– Miscellaneous stability improvements
– Full Factory Reset could sometimes prevent updates in the future.
– Sometimes software would update, but the version number would not.
– Updated ‘factory software’ reset bundles to prevent related issues from reoccurring.
04-15-2020: Pin accuracy, Time Strip alignment (Atlas only)
Version 22.214.171.124 (Atlas only)
– Reset to Factory Defaults button is now labelled Full Factory Reset, which will reset the Atlas to factory-installed software versions.
– Addition of Reset to Default Settings button in System tab, which will only delete user settings and Wi-Fi networks.
– The Day of Week indicator along the bottom of the map and Time Strip at the top of the screen could become misaligned from the map when custom pins were moved.
– Position of pins, satellites, and satellite paths was sometimes inaccurate at high or low latitudes.
– Fixed crash upon manual entry of a large number into pin latitude/longitude field.
– Check for Update button in Power Menu did not apply updates, if found.
04-09-2020: Terminator loading, Mixed map mode (Atlas only)
Version 126.96.36.199 (Atlas only)
– Sometimes the terminator would not load properly, leaving the whole world lit-up by the sun.
– Fixed crash and loss of menu access when enabling Mixed map mode and restarting software.
– Power menu update option now functions just like the in-menu System tab update button.
04-03-2020: Geochron Atlas launched
Version 188.8.131.52 (Atlas only)
– Added a much faster menu for faster user input, and streamlined processes
– 3x faster refresh rate on layer live layers. Satellites move at less than 1 FPS.
– Hardware platform is designed for digital display in stick form factor. Other uses of this hardware set have included remote facial recognition in airports, and digital menu boards.
01-10-2020: Push Notifications, Better Weather
– Added refresh button for all weather layers, at menu/live/weather. This will manually correct cache issues, where some weather squares are not appearing.
– Clouds now appear BELOW precipitation live layers because where there is rain, clouds are assumed.
– Added push system notifications
- Geochron can now PUSH notifications to any and all Geochron Version 2s with this update.
- On-screen NOTIFICATIONS will appear as a system prompt in the upper right corner of the screen when deployed.
- As an example, this will alert owners “There is an update waiting for you,” or eventually something newsy like “Earthquake Detected” with map indicators. Lots of potential here.
- Notifications can be disabled with a HOME button push while the notification is active, or time out.
09-30-2019: Satellite paths, Sleep Mode
– Predictive satellite tracking, as shown as a dashed line in the future for all displayed satellites. Duration of predicted path is equal to the historical path setting, up to ten minutes nominally, and 100 minutes for the ISS and HST satellites.
– Screen sleep function: From the power button on the remote, the menu will also display a ‘sleep mode’. Pressing this button will turn off the video display, but not the computer itself. Press any remote button to restore the video feed. Geochron’s remote will not operate your TV.
09-19-2019: Analemma tracking
– Analemma is now tracking correctly and consistently on the map when enabled.
09-09-2019: UTC 12/24, Wifi Issues
– Secondary UTC clock can be set to 12-hour (AM/PM) format independently of main clock
Toggle: Menu > System > UTC 12h
– Multiple software update channels for better beta testing and update deployment
Fewer interruptions to normal software deployment
Fixed bugs & improvements:
– Reduced time between first-start and live weather data being displayed
– Reduced apparent start-up time once we’re in the main program
Splash screen waits a bit longer for map data to load-in properly.
– Showcase mode no longer displays annoying “Applying layer settings” indicator upon change of settings
– Removed a possible lock-up when analemma is disabled
– Fixed issue with Wi-Fi module not loading properly upon start-up
Issue Symptoms: blank Wi-Fi menu, no MAC address visible in Menu > System.
– Additional recovery systems to handle multiple consecutive software boot-up failures
– Eliminated text overlap between showcase mode label and secondary (UTC) clock
08-05-2019: Greyscale, True Night, and WIFI
- New Feature! Adjusted scale of Night Opacity and added options for ‘true night’ at ‘max‘ – 100% black at night.
- New Feature! Show UTC option in menu duplicates time/date with UTC time/date regardless of time-zone selected.
- New Feature! Greyscale mode for Mapsets. Toggle in Menu.
- Design Interface: On/off toggle buttons in system tab also turned into Boolean switches
- Fix: The Precipitation Legend on/off settings are retained properly
- Fix: WIFI networks with multiple APs sharing the same name/key (‘mesh’ or multiAP setups) will now work as expected.
- Fix: Manually-input Location Pin lat/long data will now be constrained to appropriate ranges.
- Fix: Update Prompts (upper right hand corner) will communicate more clearly, and automatic reboots will be more aggressive following an update.
- Fix: Keyboard binding in the Wi-Fi menu should be more aggressive to activate
05-01-2019 Version 2 rolled out. Previous improvements rolled into Version 2.x. No new features will be added to Version 1.x.
- If you have not upgraded to Version 2, please read this on how to upgrade.
- Version 2 adds:
- Far faster performance and stability.
- Satellite Weather
- Expanded tutorials.
- Written over a Linux OS. Version 1 was an Android OS.
- Check out THIS SHORT VIDEO to watch us update the Geochron Digital to Version 2.
02-2019: Demonstration Mode
- Adding “Demonstration Mode” to cycle all layers and maps at user-selected timed intervals: 30 seconds to 3 minutes.
- Note: This feature will automatically switch between the available layers and maps at an interval selected by the user.
- Note: By selecting “Keep Map” in Demonstration Mode , the user can keep one map on the screen, while available layers switch at a timed interval above the map.
- Note: by NOT selecting “Keep Map” in Demonstration Mode, all maps and layers will change at a timed interval above the map.
- This feature was requested by museums and other public displays of the GD4k.
12-2018: Sleep mode
- A small patch to improve the performance of the GD4k coming out of sleep mode.
- Note: In addition to this patch, if you encounter problems with the GD4k reinitializing out of sleep mode, please re-seat the HDMI cable. Some TV’s will put the HDMI port to sleep, and the screen will appear blank when that port is selected.
12-2018: Population, Night Mode, and Time Accuracy
- Population Heat Map Overlay: Showing concentrations of human on earth in iridescent colors.
- Night Mode: Manual dimming of the map, or automatically* when the sun sets on the recorded IP location of the Geochron Digital.
- Time Sync Accuracy: Increasing the frequency of Geochron Digital online check to ensure the accuracy of the clock to 500 milliseconds.*
- Mixed Mode Update: This now changes mapsets every 30 minutes starting with Human / Topographical / Oceanic. It was misbehaving.
- System Menu: “Logo Opacity” and “Measurement Units” were relocated here.
*requires internet connection.
- All publicly tracked satellites via NASA showing location, speed, height, and direction (requires internet connection).
- Adjustable vectors on satellites, showing direction.
- Performance update, reducing the CPU heat output by 15F and increasing speed and reliability.
- Variable trail length vectors for all satellites, up to 100 minutes for the Hubble Space Telescope, and ISS.
- Measure systems option: Imperial or Metric.
- On-map font sizes for live layers increased from granular, to HUGE.
- An added tab in the menu “Live”, specifically for live layers.
09-2018 (v1.1 only): Performance
Please note: This software update is large (~250MB) and will need security permission to install and an additional menu or two.
– Frequently requested, the International Space Station now has an on/off trailing vector, and a pixel-sized dot for its actual location.
– Some GD4k’s were rebooting way too often. Fixed.
1. On a recent update, we added a feature that would reboot the program if any error was detected. This feature was overly enthusiastic, and was rebooting some computers over tiny, insignificant errors.
2. This major update also includes some background operations that will help us add more Live Layers like weather, and Ham Radio propagation in the future.
08-2018: Video Performance
1. Topographical map display was intermittent in Mixed Mode – Fixed.
2. Mystery multi color vertical line at the midnight point – Fixed.
3. Odd placement of the Day of the Week indicator in some units – Fixed.
4. Hour Band at the top of clock was offset by a few minutes – Fixed.
Deeper dive: We reduced the overall size and processing needs of the Geochron Digital to a tiled video output to make room for additional upcoming features. This caused some alignment issues.
06-2018: Pollution, Location Pins, Screen Keyboard
- World wide CO pollution on layer: Adding to our existing layers of Earth at Night, Shipping, and Air, now you can see the current of C02 pollution across the world. One look, and you’ll see there is a dumpster fire* in China.
- Location Text Tags: Using our new on screen keyboard with the remote, you can add tags to each location pin. Names, call signs… up to 24 characters.
- Time and date: Set local times on the fly without digging into the system interface. Time readout also includes a UTC option, and by major city.
- Internal Keyboard: Using the remote, you can now operate all features of the Geochron Digital, and enable an on-screen keyboard for wifi password set up, and location text tags. You don’t need that mini mouse anymore.
- Map Update: The Ham Radio map has been updated to show Kosovo, and a few other minor updates.
- Email notification prompt: On the first time you boot the Geochron Digital with internet applied, you’ll be asked for an email for update notifications (like this one) – but only once. Since more of our GD’s are being sold through distributors, we needed a way to get user’s email for update notifications. If we already have your email, we apologize for the inconvenience.
- Credits and Sources: Under Menu / System, see credits and data sources for our maps and layers, as well as Geochron’s EULA.