Version 2 Upgrade
Upgrade your Geochron Digital Version 1 to Version 2
It’s the same hardware as Version 1, but Version 2 adds new features like Satellite Weather, and is much faster.
Version 1 customers can update their computers to Version 2 by one of these methods:
- Free download the Version 2 image to your own bootable USB flash drive, and install it.
With an internet connection, you’ll need to download a 3.5 gigabyte file to your local computer, and create a bootable image that will install Version 2 on your Geochron Digital.
Technical difficulty: 3 of 5, but it’s FREE.
Download Image File Now
- Order a USB flash drive with the software you need, and load it yourself.
It’s the same computer hardware, so we can send you a Geochron flash drive that will automatically upgrade your GD4K to Version 2.
Technical difficulty: 2 of 5. $29.99 plus actual shipping.
Order our flash drive
- Send your Geochron Digital to us, and we’ll upgrade it within 48 hours.
Just send us your device, and we’ll install Version 2 for you and send it back. All your settings will be retained.
Technical difficulty 0 of 5. $49.99 plus actual shipping.
Send us your Geochron Digital
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there support for Geochron Digital Version 1?
Yes, but no new features will be added. Satellite weather is only available on Version 2. We’d highly recommend updating your GD4K Version 1 to the latest version of Version 1 (2019.02.11-14.06.07) through Menu (☰) / System / Update, while connected to the Internet.
Do I have to upgrade to Version 2?
No. Geochron will continue to support Version 1 and its online resources will remain active, but you’ll miss all the new features and significant performance improvements in Version 2.
Can I get satellite weather without updating?
Sorry, no. Satellite weather required a complete rewrite of the Geochron program, and a new operating system. The little hamsters in your GD4K V1 needed a better wheel to run on.
Will there by future updates to Version 2?
Yes. With Version 2, there is plenty of space to add new features. Our customers have offered many suggestions, and we are looking forward to adding:
- Amateur Radio-specific data overlays, and import contest logs.
- Flight and Asset tracking
- An accompanying smart phone app
- Live atmospheric and terrestrial events, like lightning and earthquakes.
- Regional weather with doppler coverage.
How do I know if I have a Version 1?
You have a GD4K Version 1 if:
- You purchased your Geochron Digital before April 22nd, 2019
- Your menu does not have an Internet or Help tab.
- Your GD4K does not have a Weather section under the Live tab.
- Your System tab shows a software version of 2019.02.11-14.06.07 (that’s February 11th, 2019) or older. A Version 2 GD4K will clearly say “Software Version: 2.xx.xx.xx”
(+ cloudcover, temperatures)
(+ population density)
+ cloudcover, population density
+ cloudcover, precipitation, air traffic, population density
+ population density, human lights
+ temperatures, cloudcover