FAQ for Version 1 Owners
Will I be able to update my Geochron Digital Version 1 to Version 2?
YES. Our newsletter will have the first information on this. It’s the same hardware as Version 1, but Version 2 uses a more advanced software. As of this writing, GD4K V2 is only available in new units. By late May, Version 1 customers will be able to update their computers to Version 2 by either:
- Downloading a large file from our website, and updating to Version 2 via USB. You’ll need an internet connection, a flash drive, and your Geochron’s remote control.
- Trading in your Geochron Digital Version 1 to Version 2. The cost won’t be much more than shipping and handling. Please follow our newsletter for info.
Will there be support for Geochron Digital Version 1?
Yes, but no new features will be added. Satellite weather is only available on Version 2. We’d highly recommend updating your GD4K Version 1 to the latest version (2019.02.11-14.06.07) through Menu (☰) / System / Update, while connected to the Internet.
Do I have to update my Version 1?
No. Geochron will continue to support Version 1 and its online resources will remain active, but you’ll miss all the new features and significant performance improvements in Version 2. Learn more…
Can I get satellite weather without updating?
Sorry, no. Satellite weather required a complete rewrite of the Geochron program, and a new operating system. The little hamsters in your GD4K V1 needed a better wheel to run on.
Will there by future updates to Version 2?
Yes. With Version 2, there is plenty of space to add new features. Our customers have offered many suggestions, and we are looking forward to adding:
- Amateur Radio-specific data overlays
- Flight and Asset tracking
- An accompanying smart phone app
- Live atmospheric and terrestrial events, like lightning and earthquakes.
- Regional weather with doppler coverage.
Will Version 2 work with the Ham Radio Bundle?
Sorry, no. The Ham Radio Bundle is written for all Atlas models. Early models of Geochron Digital are simply not fast enough for the data-heavy application.
How do I know if I have a Version 1?
You have a GD4K Version 1 if:
- You purchased your Geochron Digital before April 22nd, 2019
- Your menu does not have an Internet or Help tab.
- Your GD4K does not have a Weather section under the Live tab.
- Your System tab shows a software version of 2019.02.11-14.06.07 (that’s February 11th, 2019) or older. A Version 2 GD4K will clearly say “Software Version: 2.xx.xx.xx”
(+ cloudcover, temperatures)
(+ population density)
+ cloudcover, population density
+ cloudcover, precipitation, air traffic, population density
+ population density, human lights
+ temperatures, cloudcover